Monday, October 13, 2008

Erin - shower the people you love with love

My neice Erin was hit by a truck early last Sunday morning. Unbelievably she is doing better than we all could have hoped, although she is still in the hospital a week later. Sunday to Monday, amazing as most hospitals seem to kick you out too quickly for recovery to happen. She seems to have sustained a broken fibula - a bone her cousin John and I are all too familiar with breaking. And a painful surgery to put pins in the bone to hold it together. And problems with her knee. It strikes me how important it is to take the time to tell those you love how much they mean to you all the time.

Just weeks ago, not even a month ago, Diane, her mom, Karen, her auntie, Natalia, her cousin, Julia and I traveled to spend the weekend at Erin's place, taking in the play "Wicked", singing Karoke, listening to singing waiters and laying by the pool in her apartment building. (the pool area reminded me of "Three's Company" along with Mrs. Roper) It was magical, wonderful, restful and fun. I was so impressed with the way that Erin treated the people around her, whether they were family or wait staff or Peter John, Cisery, the monkey in Wicked. She has a way of thanking people so sincerely and enjoying their company that I couldn't help but write her a note to tell her so. And I am so grateful to spirit for prompting me to write that note. Life can change in a second. We are so lucky to have this joyful sprite in our lives even though at the current moment she is in tremendous pain (at a 25 on a scale of 10). Like the James Taylor song, shower the people you love with love!

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Wonderful blog report. Erin will in my prayers. Joan thank you for sharing and keep on blogging. Love Gretchen (hmm, interesting note, my word verification required to submit this comment is "oholypq", I wonder what the pq?